Gov. Beshear Recommends Schools Stay Closed until May 1 in COVID-19 Fight
Press Release – Contact Crystal Staley or Sebastian Kitchen (502-564-2611)
Gov. Andy Beshear recommended Thursday that school districts statewide extend the suspension of in-person instruction until at least May 1 in the latest intensification of efforts to fight the spread of the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The Governor spoke earlier in the day with school superintendents from across the commonwealth about the need to keep the restrictions in place as positive cases of the disease surge. He said he expects private schools to follow the guidance as well.
“I have encouraged all of our school districts to extend that nontraditional instruction, making sure that our kids out there have learning activities and meal service,” Gov. Beshear said. “This is further sacrifice by our kids and by our educators, but it’s absolutely necessary.”
He said officials are watching data coming in from across the state and nation and studying how other cities are dealing with the surge of cases. The Governor said a decision to further extend the restrictions, perhaps even canceling the rest of the school year for in-person instruction, was possible.
“There is a real chance that we don’t go back to in-person instruction this year, but we’re not there yet,” Gov. Beshear said.